Welcome to our families thoughts, adventures, and craziness

Monday, June 25, 2012

Wisdom Teeth

Wisdom Teeth Removal via Jean Brown Research

Ok, I am just going to put it out there  I am a deal sniffer. If there is a deal, I shall find it. Some of this is born out of necessity(let's face it 5 daughters rob the money tree) Some is just because I have always loved a bargain. So Teesh is told she needed her wisdom teeth out. I called my brother for the "family discount wisdom teeth removal price" and he quotes about $800. Ok, that is doable but a bargainer needs to find the best deal out there. So I continued my hunting expedition and found the deal of a life time. Jean Brown Research will remove wisdom teeth and even pay you for your time and travel if you qualify. Now, that is the bargain of all bargains. Getting paid to do what you would be doing anyway.  Also, it is an oral surgeon who removes the teeth. He has a practice in Salt Lake and just does this study because he is a kind great doctor looking to provide service, ok he probably gets paid but who cares. Score!


Leticia and I had to go in for the pre-surgery appointment. They had to do a pregnancy test, draw blood to make sure she wasn't on drugs and her blood clotted normally. Teesh doesn't like needles. She has a true phobia of them. I had to hold her down when she was little and it broke my heart. This go around I wasn't even supposed to be in the room but they let me in since she was visibly upset. I talked her through the process and like the trooper Teesh is she managed to come out successful......
I told Teesh she can do hard things and I firmly believe that. She will accomplish anything she wants to because she is a strong powerful woman.

We weren't able to schedule her appointment for three weeks out due to the volume of interest and this posed a problem since she had girls camp, efy, and youth conference coming up. The lady helping us suggested we come in as a stand by. So the following Monday we showed up bright and early at 6AM and waited with fingers crossed hoping someone wouldn't show.

By 6:30 all 6 candidates had arrived and I knew our chances were not good but one of the candidates mother had left and apparently she wasn't supposed to  so he was sent home and Teesh took his spot, Score!
I am not even kidding when I say this but the nurse came into Leticia room, she showed us a video, asked if we had questions, wheeled Teesh out of the room and before I was even settled into my book Teesh was back with gauze in her cheeks. She was gone less than 10 minutes people, now that is impressive.
I got Teesh settled and then had to leave. I could call the front desk but could not speak with Teesh for the next 12 to 16 hours. I kissed Teesh and told her to be brave.

The day went quick and the front desk called telling me I could pick her up by 11:00PM. That was sooner than 12 hours but hey I am just the client that doesn't make the rules. 
Bria and Malia went with me to snatch Teesh up. It took about an hour to check her out and get her to the car but we made it home safe and sound. I did not think about stocking the fridge with soft food items so that was an early morning run to Walmart.  Teesh slept on the couch the first night and seemed to recover quite quickly. She was pretty much eating normal foods by day 4.

Teesh was a trooper like always, she rarely complained and was just so easy going about things. I used do Terra oils on her feet and cheeks and it seemed to help in the recovery. Jean Brown was willing to pay Teesh $300 and remove her teeth for free and I sweetened the pot and matched her $300 with an additional $200 so Teesh became $500 richer that day.

See her smile, that is because of the money she just earned.
Not too shabby for a few hours of discomfort. The best part of this deal was the study was not about being in pain it was about not being able to know the time for 12 hours. The doctors were trying to see if not knowing when 4 hours was up if you would be in need of pain medication. Teesh wasn't able to know what time it was and pretty much just stayed in her little room and slept with the window being covered. She said it really wasn't bad and would do it again if she could.



1 comment:

  1. Go Teesh! These pictures kinda brightened my day..:)
    haha.

    ReplyDelete