Welcome to our families thoughts, adventures, and craziness

Sunday, April 16, 2017

Sierra Jane meets McKay


I am not sure this is the best thing to be doing right now. The tears won't stop flowing. I miss this girl so much. She is so amazing and I miss her laugh and spunkiness. Man these missions are all around hard. I know its worth it but goodness it's hard. Ok. I've blown my nose and composed myself for a minute. Lets get these posted. 


This is McKay. He is from a lot of places but his most current home town is Mapleton, Utah. He is a soccer player. He was offered to play professional but knew a mission was his top priority so played for UVU while he prepared for his mission. Funny story how Sierra and McKay met. Sierra was headed to the gym to workout and McKay was going to Institute and he rear ended her close to campus. I was visiting teaching and my phone kept ringing and ringing so I finally answer it and I hear Sierra, who is crying, "Mom, I've been in a car accident and it's really bad" I called Corby and told him to get girls ready because we are headed to Provo. I filled Corby in on the details while he drove down and would speak on and off to Sierra making sure she was ok while we drove the 45 minute commute. Once we arrived and I could see everyone was ok I took a deep breath. McKay hit Sierra and she hit the car in front of her so Sierra was crunched front end and back end. We knew her Honda would be totaled. That car was on it's last leg anyway. So grateful that no one was seriously injured. We took Sierra back to her apartment and helped her find a chiropractor as her neck was already bugging her. It was so cute because all night Sierra would say, "Mom, Mckay is so cute! At this time we didn't know how old he was. We assumed he was a returned missionary ha ha quite the surprise to learn he was 17. McKay was such a gentlemen. He called me and said " Sister Hansen, I hit your daughter and I take full responsibility for the accident. I looked down for a minute and I hit her" I will make it right for your family. What 17 year old talks and take responsibility like that. I was blown away. While we were at Sierra apartment looking at replacement cars he kept texting Sierra saying how sorry he was and if he could make it up to her he would. Sierra is telling me mom I want to go out on a date with him. So I said next time he asks what he can do to make it up say you can take me to dinner. So she did. He took a long time to reply like 15 minutes and Sierra is like mom you scared him away I said no he is pooping his pants right now because he is so excited to ask you out. Long story short obviously they went out and haven't been separated since. I love seeing Sierra so happy and so well taken care of. McKay is one of a kind. In February, McKay turned 18 and put his mission papers in a few short weeks later. He got called to serve in the El Salvador Mission and left in May. Sierra got her call to Chile Concepcion South and left in July. Sierra will come home in January and McKay in May and hopefully wedding bells in August.

These photos were taken around Easter time 


















 Girls love being taught by McKay. He is an exceptional soccer player like for real he is so good. He is so patient teaching the girls









 Some people get their call and wait so everyone has a chance to see it get opened not my girl it came and she opened it that night. I loved this evening so much. I love seeing dreams come true. Sierra had to jump through some hoops to get this dream and I am so so grateful she persevered and did give up. Life can give us twists and turns and its easy to say enough is enough but not my girl, she said I will get this privilege and that she did. So excited for her to serve the Chileans.

 Before Sierra opened her call she invited her grandparents to be there. As you can see Grandma Hansen made the journey down

Chile Concepcion South...Leaving July 4th from Salt Lake Airport to the Mexico MTC 
Get the tissues ready, this momma isn't ready for another goodbye. Missions are gut wrenching. Yes I am grateful my girls have the desire to serve but that doesn't make it easier. Good bye is hard and it doesn't get easier the more you send. 18 months isn't that long is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment