Welcome to our families thoughts, adventures, and craziness

Saturday, February 24, 2018

Self Care

If you haven't noticed I am becoming have become a seminar junkie. I love love love a good seminar especially one that focuses on becoming the best you. I have been following an amazing therapist Tiffany Roe who is the owner of Mindful Counseling in Orem Utah.
It was a wonderful day. Bit stressful finding the location in Provo in the blizzard Mother Nature sent our way but none the less it all worked out.
I got my front row Joe spot and all was well in the world for me. Thankful for a supportive husband who sees my needs and allows me to act and do what I need.
OK, lets get to the good stuff. So this seminar was all about self care. Some would say self care is getting a pedicure or taking a bath and as it can be part of it self care is so much more.
We live in a society and I belong to a religious group that promotes putting yourself last or else you are selfish. Never say no and always put others needs above our own. Service is next to Godliness
On social media there are tests floating around where moms can brag how many days it has been since they took a shower or how little they give to themselves for the sake of grand ole motherhood. I use to buy what was sold. I depleted myself for everyone else and I wore that depletion proudly. I was doing what was expected until one day I looked in the mirror, and the person staring back was miserable empty body hollow and void of any passion except what others told her to do. It was a changing day.
I want this message heard loud and clear, it is not selfish it put yourself first even above your screaming child. We are all familiar with the airplane oxygen analogy. We are instructed to put our own oxygen mask on before any one else why? Why do we put ours on first? Well, when the oxygen levels go to zero and you pass out and die how good will you be to anyone else you helped first? In real life it is pretty much the same, if we deplete our tanks daily, never refueling we will eventually die and I am sorry but a dead mom can't be there for any needs. Graphic I know ha ha but I am passionate. I hear so many mom, especially moms of young children who will be at their last straw but refuse to ask for help or put themselves first by simply getting alone time or whatever their tank needed. It is like asking or help is a sign of weakness. You must do this thing called life all alone. You are worth it my friends. You are worth the money spent on a sitter so you can enjoy a movie or pedicure or a hot bath, really whatever it is that fills your tank. Do you believe me?
Let's keep talking

"Self -care is the right and responsibility to take care of your physical, emotional, and spiritual well being." Pauline Salvucci

In the seminar we created a list of our needs. We got to the make the list free of what we thought others would expect us to have on our list and what we thought we "should" have on the list. We got to just live in judgment free zone and really dig deep to feel what it is we need. We also went through  a list and put a symbol next to the words that we felt we were fulfilled in and where we aren't fulfilled. It was liberating

No comments:

Post a Comment