Welcome to our families thoughts, adventures, and craziness

Friday, June 3, 2016

Bright new look


When we bought our home 12 years ago our plan was live here for 2 years then sink our roots in deep and raise our children in our next home. So we have lived in such a way of put up with things attitude. Well, I am ready to personalize this house because the truth is we could be here for many more years so let's make the most out of it. I don't know have the answers to a lot of my questions but I do know that moving doesn't feel right. So here we stay. Don't get me wrong, we have a great house. It has a lot of great qualities and aspects.

We painted this bedroom a few months after moving in as a Christmas gift for Sierra and Malia. It was fun to splash some color and decorate the room. Well, fast forward 12 years the paint was chipping the walls had autographs applied and the room had a particular odor due to our cat, Maybelle, being locked in more times than we can count. Corby and I got to work, tore the carpet up, replaced the trim, built shelves in the closet and painted the walls. Shutters are ordered and new bedding will soon be added.

We worked hard for a solid week and I am happy to report here's the end project. We love it! It feels so clean and inviting and so so cozy. We kept the girls beds separate and created these cute cubicles to hold clothes instead of a chest of drawers. Less is more and this room is fabulous.

Bria doesn't really enjoy change. This project has been hard on her little spirit. She constantly asks me to keep things the same. She has come around and is enjoying the changed but it has been a struggle. Oh my Breeta, your sweet spirit is so sensitive.
You know how projects go, one room leads to another and another and yep the next few weeks were filled with painting all interior doors and replacing hinges and door knobs and cleaning out and organizing shelves. 
See this pantry? It is so so small and I have never really taken full advantage of utilizing the space as best as possible. Well, lookie here, I finally took the time to find proper sized containers and had a neighbor build me a spice rack. To say I am excited about this new area is a major understatement. All my baking needs in one location, easy to grab and all items labeled. I might have had a little "Christmas morning" moment when this closet was complete




Some have asked, "why put so much money and time into this house if you just plan to move". My answer is simply this...Bloom where you are planted. Even if I get to enjoy this effort for only a year, it's a year of organization and order and it's worth it to me. Plus who knows, if 2 years is 12 maybe 12 could be 20 ha ha..

Next up.....repaint rest of upstairs, redo hardwood floor, replace baseboards and trim, paint garage door, paint kitchen cabinets, add back splash and replace countertops.  Nothing a weekend of hard work can't complete.......ha ha.. In time In time!

No comments:

Post a Comment