Welcome to our families thoughts, adventures, and craziness

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Moab!





When we were on our California trip this summer, I suggested since we have never been to Moab we should go over Labor Day Weekend. I am not sure what overcame my senses since our children do not travel well, but none-the-less another road trip for the Hansen Family. Stickers and videos are a blessed item in the traveling process. It is amazing how removing a sticker from one sheet to another can occupy the brain for hours, who cares it was quiet while we traveled.

We left Saturday about 11o'clock and arrived in Price for a delicious lunch from Wendy's. I had a baked potato and have to say it really hit the spot. It is funny with our families appetites right now any fast food receipt is between $22.00 and $25.00. I remember when we could eat out for under $10!

We arrived at our destination around 4PM and once we were settled in our hotel we went for a walk to the visitor center to plan out our next few days. I decided we needed to walk but was warned it was at least 5 blocks away. 5 blocks nothing, we are healthy young-ins, we can do this. I thought since we had been in the Yukon the walking would feel nice. I do forget sometimes the little legs attached to my two youngest get tired quicker than mine and I end up carrying them which adds an extra 30 to 40 lbs to my body.  We made it there and back in the 100 degree weather. We did a little window shopping along the way and I enviously watched all the bicyclists.




















The following morning we woke and had a healthy breakfast and set out to explore the great world of Moab. We basically drove around deciding where we wanted to spend our limited amount of time(really you could spend a week in Moab, we had two days) and decided to begin our adventures with the Delicate Arch and Fiery Furnace.
We parked our vehicle and began the "little" hike to this fantastic site. We should  have read the papers we were given a little more thoroughly because we caught ourselves being a little unprepared for what was in store. The "little" hike ended up being the 3 mile hike. Before leaving the Yukon, I just happened to grab the girls sippy cups (which hold about 8oz of water each) thinking oh the little ones might want a drink.
Anyway, we kept walking and walking and hiking and hiking singing the pioneer children song as this "little" hike continued with no end in sight. I knew we were in trouble when we were out of water and everyone was beat I asked a fellow hiker who was coming back how much longer, his reply I think you might be half way or a little less. Are you kidding me? Half way. I do believe that was not what I wanted to hear.
 A kind lady took pity on our family and gave us one of her 16oz water bottle since she could see how red in the face Bria was. Bless you kind lady! Speaking of Bria she did amazing. She walked almost the entire way and hardly complained. My two favorite quotes from her on the hike were, "I'm roasting hot" and "I think we are there now, so we can turn around".


 Oh to have a camera to zoom in and see that Sierra is under that beautiful Arch. It was worth all the sweat and agony to get to this gorgeous site.


 Doesn't this look like a postcard! Love it, so breathtaking.

 There now you can see my beautiful Sierra, along with all our new found friends.




 I am not sure the name of this but it was beautiful to look at. Once again my camera has a lot to be desired but this will have to do.




Hurray girls you made it! 
The ones in the photo stayed here while Sierra and I continued the hike down to the Arch. It was a bit scary and I didn't feel comfortable having the little ones anywhere but safely on the big flat rock.






 On the way down we saw this fantastic petroglyphs.  So So cool!

We made hoagie sandwiches for lunch and rested in the Yukon. We drank so much water our belly's girggled and sloshed. It felt good to be in air conditioning and we planned our next adventure.

This time we were fully prepared with plenty of water and full bellies. Our next destination was The Devil's Garden. It was less than a mile hike.




Yo, what's up, said Sierra
 We made it! This photo doesn't catch the beauty. Wow, breath taking.


 Just a few more angles so you can see that you really want to go to Moab for family vacation sometime soon.

Aren't these steps incredible, so cool.





While we were hiking we noticed some sand and told girls they could play in it on the way down. They had a great time running down it. I wish I had a video because it was hilarious to hear the girls squeal and scream. Oh the memories!








 




I'm seriously surprised someone didn't face plant it more than they did. They were laughing so I guess that is all that matters.

 While driving back to the hotel, We spotted some sand dunes. The girls hiked to the top and then would run down. We stayed until we ran out of sunlight and headed back for dinner.

There was a rock the girls would jump off





 At night we squished all 7 of us into a 4 person intended hotel room. Shhhh, don't tell management but sheesh the prices for hotel rooms about kills your budget. I prepared most of our food so we were able to eat in rather than out. One of the mornings a rooster joined our family and woke us all up with it's "cock a doodle dooing". I giggled when I came to and realized what Bria was doing. I really don't know where she gets the ideas she does, but she sure cracks me up on a daily basis.

While we were in Moab, Sierra posted a few pictures on Instagram and my niece Heather was down there visiting as well. We were able to get together with her and her husband, Kodi and cute adorable puppy, Sky. Bria and Ada chased that little thing all over. Every time we see an animal they both very politely ask if they can pet it. It cracks me up to see how out going my two youngest are since the three oldest wouldn't even look at a stranger let alone speak at this age. After spending some time with Heather and Kodi, we took off to see Dead Man's Point and some Canyon Place. I have to say I enjoyed the arches and dunes more than the canyons.


Good thing she is 4! Great shot.







 It really is all so beautiful and I know my camera is terrible but isn't the view enough to take your breath away.
Ada began her song of "I want out of my car seat" early on the way home. Thank goodness for modern technology and the movie Lorax it distracted her for a few of the hours. The ride home was filled with a discussion between Corby and I and our future budget changes and where our saved money is being stored. It got a little heated at times but all in all it turned out productive.  We were traveling along nicely but when we arrived at the I15 merge we came to a complete stop. We waited for over an hour on the freeway because of an accident. 

Arriving home is always such a great feeling! Nothing like home sweet home. With everyone's help we quickly cleaned up and found ourselves relaxing on the couch for a bit before bedtime.

What a great memory making weekend and now back to regular Hansen Family life!

No comments:

Post a Comment