Welcome to our families thoughts, adventures, and craziness

Saturday, June 29, 2013

Spartan Beast...what was I thinking!

After I completed my first half marathon my workout buddy,  Joani, signed up for a race titled Spartan Beast. I trained with her and even considered signing up until I realized it was over $200 for an entrance fee. So I cheered Joani on from the sign lines, from my comfy home. 
After she completed the race and raved about how fun/hard it was I was determined to check it off  my bucket list. There was a window where entrance fees were $40, so I jumped on the deal and didn't think twice about it.
Misty, Joani and myself received workout tips and we attended cross fit classes Saturday morning in lieu of preparing ourselves for the race. I have to say I had no idea what I was in for.
June 29th arrived and Misty picked me up at 6:30AM. we traveled to Soldier Hollow in Midway, Utah. Our heat began at 9:30 so after registering, stretching, and mentally preparing ourselves, we lined up and waited for the gun to go off. The course was 12 miles  with 25 plus obstacles to overcome. Now, if you were unable to achieve an obstacle you would replace it with burpees. You ask what a burpee is? torture I tell you, pure torture. Each unattained obstacle was 30 burpees. I had to do 5 sets of 30 burpees, not bad considering I expected to have to do more. I only saw one lady fall from the monkey bars  compound fracturing her leg and arm. Another gentlemen dislocated his shoulder and I witnessed many many calf cramps along the way. I have to say, my team did not suffer any injuries minus Misty falling down the steep mountainside and scraping her shin. She almost took both Joani and I out along her fall. Thank goodness for branches that were strong enough to hold us.
This adventure was so much harder than I mentally trained for. The obstacles were tough, don't get me wrong, but I was able to do most of them. The obstacles I failed to complete were the javelin throw, completely missed the haystack, did not train for this type of obstacle. I wasn't able to complete the two rope climbs or the monkey bars. Honestly, with the monkey bars, after seeing a compound fracture, I opted to just do burpees, they looked less painful. I was overwhelmed with happiness for the obstacles I was able to complete. Did I mention we were in over 100 degree weather and were covered in mud from a mile in? It was the toughest thing I have done thus far, as far as races and competitions go, that is. 
Such  a great feeling when I jumped through fire and ran across the finish line. I can do mentally challenging as well as physically challenging things, go me! Even a week after I would find bruises. People ask me why I would do this to myself.....my answer because I can. I am pretty proud of the fact that I am 43 years old and I am doing things 20 year olds can't. Go me!


I love this shot of before, we have no idea what is about to happen to us. Misty is sharing her strategies and I am making sure my bangs look good. Anyone who knows me knows that my hair is super important to me. I never go out in public without doing it first.


Most loved Joani's shirt. Potty mouth girl!





I am about to give up here, I lost my footing on the other side and just about fell. I was so tired but pulled myself up and over. Whew, so glad the judges didn't make me do burpees!

Nothing better than up and over.

This was where I wanted to puke. You had to roll under barbwire for miles, OK, it felt like miles, being sprayed with a fire hose every so often. The ground hurt so bad and bruised me everywhere. I got so dizzy but I finished.

I was so excited when I actually accomplished this obstacle.The logs were different heights and different spacing so it was hard to keep your balance. With each obstacle, you only got one chance. I was relieved when I made it to the end without falling.

I love this shot. I look like what was I thinking, that about sums it up for how I was feeling through some parts of this insane race.



We made it! We are Spartan tough!

No comments:

Post a Comment