Welcome to our families thoughts, adventures, and craziness

Monday, September 25, 2017

Survival of the Fittest

Got my mighty hunters off and my littles to school and now its time to catch up on my life through words. Teesh, Corby, and Nathan all spent the entire week(ok Tuesday through Saturday) up in the chilly mountains. They saw lots of buck and deer but did not get a clean shot so came home with empty hands but full heads of memories. They all said they thoroughly enjoyed their time together.
Back at the home front, I was busy getting girls to different destinations like piano lessons, art class, gymnastics, young women's activity, canning applesauce, you know the drill, plus lets add Parent Teacher Conferences in this week just to be extra creative. Elementary PTC is a breeze. One teacher, scheduled appointment of 10 minutes.....BOOM done see ya in 4 more months. I always treat my girls to a new book from the book fair for working so hard. High school PTC is a rather different animal. No appointments, 8 teachers, all in different sections of a multi building high school translates to 2.5 hours of PTC. Thank goodness my piano teacher was ok with the girls staying a few extra hours doing their homework.  I tell ya how do single moms do it. I do it a week here a week there and I say no thanks!  Corby often asks me why I go when the girls are in high school, my response because I love hearing how my girls are excelling regardless their age, plus its a huge bonus to have my sweet, darlin, Malia next to me hearing how dang great she is. Now, we all know she is great, but who ever gets tired of a compliment??? Pretty much here's the run down, "Malia Hansen, oh yes, she has an A. She has 102% in the class. She participates and is well versed. She adds so much to our class"......go to next teacher....repeat.
Malia is my sunshine girl. Love her dearly. Thursday morning she took off super early for Cedar City to the Shakespeare Festival for the weekend. Malia has been practicing and helped choreograph her trio she will perform there(because I am writing this after the fact, I will gives you a heads up her trio took 1st place) Celebration is coming so stay tuned.
Clark, Hollie's husband, was leaving Friday to take his son Gage to find our mighty hunters. So Corby thought it would be a great idea if I took the littles down and then Clark could bring them to him. It was a win win all around. The littles got a small taste of hunting and I would get an evening to myself. With Clark and Gage gone and Bria,Ada and Malia gone, we decided we would have a sister outing that Friday evening. Watch out the crazy might come out of two housewives ha ha.
We wanted to see a movie but this time of year it's all horror stuff and that's not my love language so dinner worked and we then chilled at her house for our 4am wake up alarm.
We thought it would be fun to hike in the beautiful mountains near Hollie's house. We got on the mountain around 5:30(Hollie has a group of friends, they do crazy adventurous things weekly) well, I'm in the worse shape of my life and I let them all know I would be the trailer of the group so for sure to leave me and send food in a week. They laughed and said no problem but seriously it was so steep and their pace was similar to someone getting out of a burning building so Hollie and I were quickly on our own, but honestly I was ok with that since I didn't know the other ladies other than their names. These ladies are serious hikers, head lamps, hiking sticks, just super Johnny on the spot hikers.
Well, I did not do any pre planning and neither did Hollie and we quickly realized we were a little disoriented and lost ha ha. Our 11.25 mile hike turned out to be almost 19 miles and we were close to 50,000(yes, I did that correctly count those zeros) steps. Holy freaking hip flexors and calves. I was fearful I would not be able to walk but after some stretching and nutrition my body bounced back quickly. But wow, that was intense and we missed the whole Saturday of conference due to our misguided choices. It was fun and we laughed and laughed and peed on the side of the trail a lot and it was so enjoyable. I love Hollie. She is fun and let's me be me. Lucky to have her in my life. I don't have many close friends anymore so I am super grateful for Hollie. We had many conversations about parenting and how life can be hard. I shared with her lots of my mentoring techniques that have helped me and we discussed how taking away hard doesn't allow us to grow and learn. I used the analogy of the chick and the egg and how if you just break the shell thinking you are helping the chick you actually will hurt the chick and it will die. The process that the chick must go thorough to get out is what helps it become strong to be able to survive outside of the shell. Funny that the talk in conference on Sunday actually used that same analogy. Love the spirit.
We had to make a Costco run after we showered and got some food. Hollie wants to give each of her friends a squatty potty for Christmas and Costco had a 2 pack for $19.99. While she was getting her 6 the looks we received from other shoppers was making me smile and laugh the entire shopping trip. I just love not caring what others think and living my life, my style. I ended up purchasing a squatty potty for my family after the rave reviews Hollie gave it. TMI I don't have issues getting my business done but some of my family members do, so we shall give it a whirl.
As I was traveling home, I stopped at Jaren and Cindy's since my home was still vacant. We chatted and enjoyed visiting. I enjoy Jaren the most on the Hansen side. He is so accepting and rarely is there ever the feeling of competition with him. He is a breath of fresh air.

With it being General Conference weekend, that means cinnamon rolls. Malia got home from Cedar City around midnight Saturday evening and mentioned she wanted to learn how to make cinnamon rolls. Your wish is my command little sunshine girl.
We got up a little later than normal but hey give us a break we got to bed well after 1am. Malia invited Jameson over to help and watch conference. It was a delightful morning and those cinnamon rolls turned out more than mighty fine. Probably some of the best batch I've ever made. Malia has the touch. Conference was amazing as usual but I will be honest I didn't get a lot out of it. I am a visual learner so to read it sinks deeper. I had all the feels and was touched many times but reading it after the fact now thats where the true magic happens for me. Plus, being a mom I am constantly being interrupted and solving issues and yay, I can't wait for it to come out on paper. I do love listening to it on LDS.org as well. Love technology.
Jaren and his family came over for games and we played like we haven't in years(ok its only been weeks but it felt way over due) I love hanging out with their family. We have so many traditions and with their kids being similar ages to mine we just get each other and I love it.
Teesh spent the day with James at his condo and then headed to Logan really late. I worry about her driving the canyon that late but she is a good driver and very competent.
It was a jam packed week but we got it all done and everyone is happy, healthy and well fed.

No comments:

Post a Comment