Welcome to our families thoughts, adventures, and craziness

Monday, May 27, 2013

Mountain View Corridor

About 9 years ago I thought it would be fun to ride bikes from Taylorsville to West Point, about a 60 mile trip. Corby and I got the girls settled and we took off at 6AM. We arrived at his parent's house around 2 PM. Wowsie, it was long and hard but so so fun! My older girls thought it looked like fun and asked if they could join in the following year and that my friend is how it became a tradition.
The last few years since Bria and Ada have joined our family, we haven't done that long of a ride for obvious reasons.
 Bria had to jump in the photo and so begged to join us. Sweet dear little Bria you have no idea what we are about to embark upon, actually neither did we at this point;)

I love how we all look like bugs, helmets save brains but oh they are so uncomfortable and awkward.


This year I thought it would be a great idea to ride the new trail that parallels the new Mountain View Corridor Road. Corby volunteered to hang back with little ones while Malia, her bff, Avery, Teesh and myself set out to conquer the unknown. Corby dropped us off at 5400 south where the new road begins and we were off. Right off the bat is a pretty steep hill 9% grade for over a mile. Going down it was fabulous, we caught wind like no other. I caught some serious air and flew like a bird. There was a water treatment plant along our path, pee eew, smelled horrible. We reached our half way point, Jaren and Cindy's house in Herriman. We filled up our water bottles, took a bathroom break, fueled our bodies with calories and hit the road jack.
We started off the way we began, energized and ambitious. I started hearing complaints of sore bottoms but nothing out of control. The wind was blowing us all over, it came out of nowhere, but never fear we are strong girls who achieve goals. We were hitting all our milestones I had set and thought we would be nearing completion in 30 minutes or less and that is when the hills began. Going down the hills feels great, but going up is a completely different story. 9% grade let's talk about that. It was amazingly hard. I stayed strong and remained on my bike using my gears for my benefit but the three partners had to walk several times(now their bikes might have something to do with it, I have a really nice road bike and the girls have the equivalent of a Huffy!Need I say more). I had to laugh more than once as both Avery and Malia asked if I would trade them. I so would have if my knees would not have given me black eyes with each pedal.
During our ride, I had to giggle as I would see Malia ride "no hands" and Avery would scream, "Malia, stop doing that, you are scaring me"

Our goal was not obtained but considering the obstacles that we faced we were super happy to have just finished. 26.3 miles.
Well done little partners, let's do it again in another year.

No comments:

Post a Comment