Welcome to our families thoughts, adventures, and craziness

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Special moments

Tonight at dinner here's the conversation.
Bria: Mom, what do we keep our temperature at?
Mom: doesn't respond(I don't have a voice)
Ada: pipes up, probably 59 
Bria: If it was 59, we would be so hot.

One evening I was brushing Ada's hair and said, Ada your hair is getting so long, do you like it long? 
Ada: I don't want it long like Rapunzel but I do want it to touch my BUTT(said loudly)

I had a huge sense of gratitude overcome me the other evening as I was in bed with rather chilly feet. No matter what I did, I could not warm my toes up. The thought "this is how the homeless feel every night" flooded my mind. As I lay there in my 600 thread count sheets and fluffy pillows I actually shed a tear for all the greatness my family and I enjoy. 
I have so much to be grateful for. I am grateful for motherhood. It is hard, really hard most days but what would I be without my 5 girls. I may have a clean home, I may have more money, I may have nicer cars and go on more exotic vacations but what would I be? 
I am grateful the Lord loves me enough to provide me hard times to grow from. I don't love the experience while I am going through it, but I do love that I can look back and see what I learned and how much closer I am to my Heavenly Father because of the trial.

Recently, I had a conversation with an acquaintance, we were catching up like we commonly do and I had noticed that someone in particular was being given extra special treatment. So I mention, why do you think people are so inclined to be more willing to help some more than others? So, I open that thought up to you, what motivates you to help others more than some or be more likely to keep your word to some more than others?
My thoughts are this. I think if you don't feel completely accepted by some those are the ones you try to help the most. If you are caught serving, you will be more likely accepted? I also think that looks, money, and power play a huge roll here. If someone has money some automatically think they are smarter or better. I have a family member who doesn't give the time of day to anyone unless they make a 6 figure income. It is funny because how does he know how much they make, some 6 figure incomers live rather frugally and don't flaunt their excess.
Does your annual income determine your value? Does outward appearance determine your value? Does your position at work or calling in the church determine your value?
Deep thought here, just wondering what you think.

For the sake of my children I will share my rather strong opinion on this matter.

Drum Roll Please.........NO! 
no amount of money
no amount of looks, whether it be the brand of clothes you wear, the length of your hair, or the genes you were born with or surgically provided
no amount of position anywhere determine your value.

You determine your value even if others don't see it in you. Why do you care if they approve of you or not, who decided that their opinion means anything. You are everything you want to be, just create goals and go after them. When people, who you love and care for, stand in your way and tell you you'll fail, gently push them to the side and tell them it is none of your business what they think about you.
I have spent better part of my entire life listening and caring what others think and say. I have sat alone on the church bench for years with small children with no offers of help. Why no one offers, I don't really know but what I do know is that I don't get to care why others get help when some don't. I get to know that I am the only one who gets to live my life so why not start living the life I have always wanted.
Today is a new day!





No comments:

Post a Comment