Welcome to our families thoughts, adventures, and craziness

Saturday, December 22, 2012

Traditions this time of year

Candles made by my neighbor from Magna
Willow Tree Nativity, no touching little hands
I absolutely love this time of year! Not for the presents, even though I do love to surprise my loved ones with items they never thought possible. I have gathered for years to get this nativity scene from the Willow Tree. It is expensive but so beautiful. I wish I had taken a close up shot of the individual pieces but you get the idea. Look at my table decor......guess how much a I paid for the candlestick holders? waiting, waiting, OK, I'll tell you, .39. Yes, you read that correct. American Express was running a deal for small businesses and they would refund you up to $50.00 so I found my items and the total came to $50.39. Is that a deal? I was so stoked, I seriously love to bargain hunt, it makes me so happy to decorate my home for little to nothing. Corby doesn't mind it either. The ornaments on top of candlesticks were not included in the price so over all that center piece cost me $14.39 still not bad, eh?
Here is our sad little tree that we threaten to get rid of each year and after 10 years, it continues our journey with us. It was given to us at a real low income time in our marriage and it just represents so much that even though it is little and broken I can't seem to part with it. It fits nicely in our bay window and don't you love my ornaments I made 12 years ago. I think every year I need to change it up but I never do because these ornaments and tree are just what Christmas is all about.......love, kindness, sacrifice, and service. Do you spy Sparkle in the blinds checking to see if we are all behaving!
I went a little overboard with the garland and lights but it makes our house feel so festive. Corby is always wanting to turn the lights off to save electricity but Ada goes right behind him and re-plugs them back in. Way too go little Ada Rae, she knows how to work the system.

Here is where we display our collection of Christmas cards and school artwork. Before the season ends, this door will have no bare spots. We always feel so loved and remembered when we hear from good friends and family.
As you have probably notice, I change out my shelf every season or holiday. Corby made this shelf many many moons ago and I still just adore it!



When Teesh and Sierra were just toddlers I made our stockings. I made my own pattern and bought the fabric with the help of my sister-in-law, VaLynn aka "Lynnakins" She borrowed her mother's serger and we set a date to sew away. Lynnakins is an amazing seamstress so with her help it surely would turn out swell. We made 10 stockings(thinking future here ;)) I loved how they all turned out and I guess others did too because I used them as decor for one of my boutiques and they all sold leaving me with only 5. Five worked well for many years but when Ada and Bria joined our clan we were two short. Every year I had intentions of making two more but every year Corby and I ended up with no stocking so this year I took the easy road. I used a coupon at Kohls and brought home stockings for the parents. See now our family is complete!
 Isn't this the cutest little stocking ever! Corby got it one year and I attached it to the garland and it just remains there year after year. Bria designated it as Maybelle, our cat's stocking.
Another tradition is to make our neighbor gifts rather than buy or have it be something to eat. This year I felt ambitious and made these Christmas tree ornaments with a cute little saying about how much our neighbors and friends mean to us. We all worked hard and completed 30 of them in only a couple of days work. I was extra excited as we were able to make every one of them with all the supplies I already had, score on two counts, getting clutter out of my house and two meeting budget once again! So so excited!

My girls all helped in their own way in the cutting out, sanding, painting, and assembling of ornaments. This is what Christmas time is to me, spending time with family working on projects. Last year on Christmas Eve we were painting our basement, more on that in another post. Some of my girls weren't exactly excited with that festive plan so this year I'll stick to ornaments.

 The little girls painted ice cream cones to join in the fun. I just love all of Bria and Ada's expressions in these few photos.
 Score sign and the line smile!
Sierra not interested in painting  trees but painting her nails, at least she joined us.

And here is the end project!

Another tradition that we do this time of year is draw each others names each week and do kind deeds secretly for each other. Some of the kindness I witnessed was, doing each others chores, painting nails for young ones, calling and seeing how a day went or a test turned out. Being extra kind and just all around showing more love. I love this tradition because it means more than some silly ole gift it hopefully will bring out the spirit I so love about this time of year.

No comments:

Post a Comment