Welcome to our families thoughts, adventures, and craziness

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

New Year's Eve

We don't really have traditions to bring in the New Year. Sometimes we celebrate with family, sometimes with friends. This year it was the friends category. My work out buddy, Misty, had us over to her pad. She has 6 children, oldest being a boy then 5 girls, so we have a lot in common. Our two oldest and two youngest are similar ages but her middle two and Malia don't mix too well.
I made some appetizers and she provided veggies and we settled in for a full night of games.
It is so fun to hang out with others when our children get along so well. Seriously, we were there from 7:30 PM to 12:30 AM and not once did the girls argue. They get along so well (they spend so much time together at the daycare and also attend preschool together) I love that they have such cute little friends.
We played Slide 5, Mormon Bridge(have to be careful with this, Misty and her clan are not LDS), Catch Phrase, Scattergories(Corby's all time favorite), and a few other games.
When the magical midnight hour struck everyone sent a few texts wishing loved ones a new year and then we continued our game. No kissing. no pots and pans banging, no screaming just a quiet little moment to bring in the new year.
As with most,  some of the resolutions we as a family propose:
1) Jennifer will take over the allowance ledger and payroll department
2) We will try to be more kind to each other
3) Weekly Temple Attendance
4) We will be following a 95% plant base diet
5) And my most favorite, putting little girls in bed and teaching them to fall asleep with my assistance. Don't judge me here. I was a good mom to my first family and my girls could sleep without my presence, but somewhere along the struggle to get them here I slacked and they think I have to lay on their floor when they go to sleep. UGH for sure!
6) Jennifer, Leticia, and Sierra will all run a half marathon in April

I think we will stop there for family goals, don't want to overwhelm ourselves and end up not doing anything. Every new year we have an FHE about individual goal setting. We discuss how we felt last year went and what, if any, changes we need to implement for this upcoming year. The girls have 4 categories, 1)Spiritual, 2)Academic, 3)Physical, and 4)Entertainment. They must provide a goal for each category. I then type up the goals, laminate them, and hang them in visible spots in the house as reminders. I have to say some years are better than others, but this system seems to work well.
So cheers everyone to goals, and to 2013......We have high hopes for this being a bright new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment