Welcome to our families thoughts, adventures, and craziness

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Navigator Pointe Talent Show

With enrollment for our charter school each parent is asked to volunteer so many hours each year to keep our school great. When my nuggets were younger, I always opted to help in classrooms, truly my favorite, but when Teesh was in the 5th grade, she asked me to not come back. I knew it was time to cut the apron strings and find a different avenue to accumulate my hours.
My good friend, Anna and I decided the talent show was an excellent opportunity. We could work together and all hours would be after school so no need to find a sitter for our little ones. Win/Win

For several years this was a flawless process. Anna did her part and I mine. I love hanging out with Anna so all in all I loved this talent show stuff. About three years ago, Anna's husband, Rob, finished his residency and they were off to Virginia for his first real job as a radiologist. Exciting times for the Hastings for sure(I have to admit I was a little jealous, moving clear across the united states sounds so fun)
With their move, the talent show was left up to me, little ole me. I tried to find help but no one was interested  or didn't feel comfortable getting up in front of others, blah blah blah I heard it all.
I put my shoulder to the grind stone and did the first year all alone. wowsie it took a lot of work. I spent so much time! Because we have such a great turn out we divided the school talent show into two. K-4th and 5th-9th, as great as the talent is amongst these students, no one wants to sit for more than an hour.
This is what the talent show entails:
  • Print flier encouraging participants to sign up.
  • Collect  flier a few days later.
  • Call all willing participants and set up a time for a preview
  • Go to preview and watch a snippet of their performance, making sure everything is school approved
  • Type up the program
  • Create the participation award
  • Get appropriate adults to sign 
  • Call participants reminding of talent show
  • Set chairs up and provide all necessary items for participants for evening
  • Night of performance, MC, hand out awards, run the music and keep everything flowing smoothly
  • Take chairs down and put all props away
  • Drop in bed from exhaustion

Repeat entire process a few weeks later!

 Malia usually participates which I love. This year she and her good friend, Avery, decided on a duet. They practiced and practiced for several weeks, Stay, Stay, Stay by Taylor Swift. I was so excited to see their performance.
The talent show begins sharply at 7PM. I have all participants sit together on the first three rows to keep the evening flowing. Malia and Avery were number 5 on the program. Malia chose to bring her Ipod instead of burning the music on a CD. 
I am not sure what exactly happened but their music began half way through so when they started singing from the beginning it was off. After they finished, they both sat down and began to cry. During another act, I quietly went to see what the problem was. They explained it to me so felt it was only right to give them another shot.
It all worked out but Malia was so upset for making a mistake like she did. Man, Malia it is OK to not be perfect. I promise.
When this year's talent show was completed I turned the process over to another mother. With Bria going to Kindergarten I am more than happy to get back into the classroom. Love ya talent show but our relationship has to end and this is the best year for it.





I love this one of Avery. The girls were so cute they had actions and everything to the song. 7th graders rock!

Hats off to you two! I would rather die than get in front of an audience and sing. You sounded great and  if there was a judge you were the best performance of the evening!

     





No comments:

Post a Comment