Welcome to our families thoughts, adventures, and craziness

Friday, March 8, 2013

Sierra Jane Hansen

When Teesh was only 9 months old I began with the all to familiar urge, it was time to expand our family of three to four. Corb did not question me this time just said if you feel it is right then it is right and all will be well. He is a quick learner that boy is! :)

It took about 6 months and the positive double red line appeared on the test, oh yeah! To celebrate our fantastic news, Corby took me to get a hamburger and fries, cravings with every pregnancy thus far, but then after consuming I am ill.. Good figure! We raced home to tell Teesh she would be a big sister. VaLynn, Corby's sister, was at home watching Leticia. Teesh was really too young to care but it was sure fun as a mom to tell her anyway.
I really wanted to not find out the gender so throughout the entire pregnancy we called you baby. I loved the surprise at the delivery finding out you were another adorable baby girl. I didn't change much about my life during my pregnancy with you sierra. I played volleyball, worked out at Gold's, and even ran a daycare in our home to help with Dad remaining in school. The summer was the hottest it had been in years and with our swamp cooler it didn't seem to help much. I was miserably hot and being due the 13th of August seemed like torture. The only thing that kept me going was  I would get an adorable baby out of all the suffering, good trade I believe. Because of the horrible experience with the doctor with Teesh I went the route of mid-wife this go around. I found a lady named Gretchen. I loved her from the moment I met her. She was on board with all my natural ways and said her only rule was if baby or mother begin to suffer she will request options. Hey, I am good with that rule. It was such a better experience going to my appointments each month and being treated like an intelligent individual and not like a moron for stating suggestions.
Gretchen said I could continue to live my active lifestyle during my pregnancy as long as my body was OK with it. In June, I was playing volleyball in a not air conditioned building and got sweating so much I ended up in the hospital for dehydration. It was a scary situation, Sierra did not move for many hours. I would drink the juice and slurp the Popsicle and still no movement. I called Gretchen and she said I'll meet you at the hospital. I was given an IV and had to stay for several hours but in the end all was well. I did not like that scary close call. Felt sad for the mothers who lose their babies, tragic awful I can't imagine.
On July 24th, Pioneer Day, we decided to go swimming with family. Corby woke up not feeling well at all. He laid on a lounge chair on the side of the pool while myself, Teesh, and many of his family members enjoyed the holiday. After a few hours, we all headed to Kathleen's to relax the rest of the day away. Around 8PM I noticed I was having contractions, they weren't painful, but they were consistent. We decided to hang out a bit longer just in case we needed to leave Teesh at Grandmas. Around 11 PM I told Corby we needed to call Gretchen. Gretchen said it was most likely false labor since I was three weeks from my due date. She suggested taking a hot bath. We left Teesh and went home. Corby, still not feeling well, begged me to not  have this baby tonight. OK, I guess I won't! Hello!
Well bath trick did nothing and while Corby slept I practiced my breathing and began packing for the hospital. At 3AM I woke Corby and said I can't stand it anymore I need to head to the hospital. He slowly drove me and kept telling me how ill he was. Now, I am a nice person but when in labor my filter kind of got lost and I basically told him I did not care he was ill. He needed to buck up and be there for me we were having this baby tonight.
We arrived at the hospital at 3:40AM. They checked me and I was only dilated to a 4, a 4 for all that pain. Heaven help me, can I really endure this pain or should I just give in and get drugs. My midwife was there and helped me through the hardest part. She helped me breath properly and calmed me down. The funny thing about the whole process was that during contractions I insisted on holding Corby's hand. I would squeeze his hand and count to ten during contractions. After Sierra was born Corby shook his hand and said wow my hand really hurts, I replied why? Did you injure it? We both had a good laugh out of that.
When I got to a 5 things went so fast from that point on. I went from a 5 to a 10 in 15 minutes. It was time to push. I was having so much back pain and I once again did not know if I could do this but with the encouragement of others I found strength. As I was pushing being able to feel everything I knew the baby was stuck. Sierra's heart rate dropped to scary levels and Gretchen made the decision to call in the doctor on call. Mid-wife's aren't allowed to use any appliances so if they are needed doctor on call must be there. The doctor's name was Teresa. She was great. She had to use a vacuum to remove Sierra. Sierra was posterior which meant born face up not down. She got stuck behind my pubic bone and wow was she born with a shiner. Her poor forehead was one giant bruise. Thank goodness for modern inventions or we might not have known Sierra and her adorable personality. Sierra was born blue but quickly took her first breathe and did not have another breathing issue. Sierra was born at 6:20AM weighing in at 6lbs14oz and 22" long. She was so precious and small. Almost a pound lighter than Teesh.
Not having any drugs or an IV I was up walking around within an hour of her birth. I felt terrific. I also only tore a little so basically nothing to recover from. If you can endure the pain of delivery, drug free is the way to go people.
I tested positive for the Strep B so Sierra had to stay in the hospital for 72 hours and since I was nursing I had to stay with her. Torture! I was so ready to be home. I felt so great and I wanted to get home to Teesh and begin my new life with two little girls. The three days finally ended and home we went.
Sierra was a cranky baby. I believe the first two weeks she cried more than she didn't. A friend suggested taking her to a chiropractor and off we went. The chiropractor was so gentle with her and softly adjusted her neck. Sierra literally smiled and instantly became happier.
Chiropractor heard of her traumatic delivery and wasn't surprised she needed an adjustment. I did not grow up using chiropractic care but wow they made life more enjoyable.
Having Sierra join our family just felt natural. She and Teesh became immediate BFF's and I couldn't love them more.

No comments:

Post a Comment