Welcome to our families thoughts, adventures, and craziness

Monday, April 30, 2018

House Building; Step by Step.... part 2



The first building a house post is getting long so let's divide it shall we.  So much has happened! Our house looks like a house ha ha. 
I am beginning ever so slightly to find my decorations. I have had my eye out for these beauties so when I found them I didn't hesitate and bonus they were even 50% off. Score! I will paint them black but oh my goodness I just think they are the cutest little decorations. No one will have to question where the powder room is unless of course you don't identify with either gender I found this sign for you.


Choosing my floor has been by far the hardest for me. I find what I like only to doubt it a few days later. Initially I decided on the one on the right but it just wasn't singing to my soul. When I found the one on the left, it was the one. I chose this in the pre-mortal existence. It was an upgrade...side note....when you build a house you get use to the phrase "that will be an upgrade" there are options that come as standard (included in the price first suggested for purchase of house) but those are usually the less than desired options at least for this girlie. So my little upgraded floor will set me back $7K but it's my entire main floor, I gotta love it right.
My cabinets are the darker looking piece of wood. The cabinet builder is making my cabinets for the first time. The color I wanted was an ebony color (super dark brown) he calls it black beauty and I will have solid fronts, no design for this girlie.

 So much richer in color and the variations of patterns has my heart palpitating. We are not having any tile in our house..none, zero, zilch. Grout is just not our thing. We have hardwood, carpet and vinyl  throughout the house and in our showers and bathrooms we have cultured marble. Oh it's gorgeous. I promise I will show a finish product I promise.

 This is my sad opportunity to decide on a stain for my banister with my floor and cast iron rods. I think it will look nice. I shared with several friends and family what they thought and it was unanimous they all liked my new flooring. The floor on the bottom is the one I first decided on. Much better choice to change it, don't you think. In the different lighting it looks brown but its a combination of brown and grey, weird I know but its so beautiful.

 So imagine the white wood spindles removed and replace it with black cast iron going horizontal. Its not a huge contrast with my stain and cast iron but it looks so good. I am just so excited. If you are wondering where I am, I am in a home recently built in the neighborhood just a few houses down from ours. No one lives there yet so I use this house to create my dreams. ha ha



 Nate is such a trooper always available for helping me visualize my dreams.
 We have a roof with shingles and a front door and all the windows installed now. We even have door knobs that lock. Its getting real folks.






 We had what Hard Rock calls 4way. It is where Corby and I went through the house and examined every plug and every thing you can imagine. Making sure things are where they are supposed to be. It was so fun because when we finished we went to the model house and decided cabinets and fine tuned the details in the kitchen and laundry room. I love love love designing this house. It is just a blank slate and I have added color and design to my hearts desire. When I say "I", which I do a lot, I am fully aware it should be we but Corby has been very hands off. He knows I have ideas and he is happy to take the back seat. He will design our landscape and other things but for the kitchen he is "go for it honey, design away"
I chose my granite this week too. Use your imagination dark cabinets, brushed nickel handles and this this for countertops. I know, right!!!


 I have felt on top of the building process. A step ahead of their questions and feeling so prepared until this week. So I was thinking about window coverings and thinking what exactly do I want. I thought I would call a few places and hear their opinions on what's the best for my purposes. Well, first place I called was talking about motorized shades. I am like yes, tell me more and more. Long story, if I want motorized I have to have the wiring completed before sheet rock can happen. Well this was Wednesday and I have sheetrock happening Monday. Yikes! I made a few calls and was told well  I can try but its probably not going to happen. I seriously visualized it happening and prayed and kept the faith. Well Monday I got a call asking where do I need the wires. 
People pray works. 
God cares about the little things. He heard and answered my pleas. It's the little small things that tell me God knows me. I don't have any photos but we will have plantation shutters in the front and shades on the back. The motor will be attached to a transformer and it will work off a remote. So when I want to open my windows while I lay in bed I push a button and wha la I have sunshine or not. Spoiled I know. I tell ya you will love them and they are the new way in window coverings. I have what they refer to as a smart house ha ha.

I will add sheetrock photos the second I see those bad boys being hung. Can you even wait? I know I can't. We are approximately 60-75 days to move in.
We are getting our existing house ready for the market. We realize we will be homeless for a month or so but that's why we have a trailer, you think I am kidding but I really am not.  I at first was going to do the work of staining our cabinets and painting our walls but I have found several people who have very reasonable bids and frankly I just don't have the time. Cross fingers that they can get the work done in the next few weeks as the goal is to have our house on the market end of May. Can you believe it?





No comments:

Post a Comment