Welcome to our families thoughts, adventures, and craziness

Monday, February 18, 2013

19 years

Today is our 19th Anniversary! Wow! Many moons ago, when we were both college students, we decided to marry. We chose President's Day weekend to allow us a three day weekend. We had a short little honeymoon and then back to the studying.  With marrying on a holiday weekend, that means we also get to celebrate each year on a holiday weekend (some good, some bad but mostly good) Because of our all-expense paid-trip in April, we decided to go easy on the celebrations this go around (Who am I kidding, we always take it easy on our anniversary celebrations) Just seems like something always comes up to gobble the extra moola we could have used, oh well such is life.

Anyway, one of our favorite places to go is Off Broadway. Groupon had a BOGO so I snatched those tickets up in a real hurry and began to make plans for our glorious upcoming event.
Morning of the 18th, I woke to my three favorite treats on my pillow, piping hot crepes in the kitchen next to a beautiful card. Corby wrote down some of his favorite things he loves about me. So tender! He definitely made up for his lack of on Valentines Day(more on that post) The day was pretty normal, Corby worked on taxes while I put the finishing touches on the upcoming school talent show.
Malia and Teesh made dinner for the girls while Corb took me out. When we were getting ready to leave he asks, "Where do you want to eat? Sizzler? Cafe Rio? or Arctic Circle? Nothing screams true love like those restaurants. He had coupons which is why he suggested those choices. Love my frugal hubby, most of the time;)
I opted for Zuppas. Gotta love their Wisconsin Cauliflower Soup, YUMMY! We enjoyed a nice light conversation of our budget and how it is working currently and then headed off to downtown to see Doctor U.
We didn't want to have to pay for parking so thought if we found parking somewhere in the free zone then hopped on traxx we could save a little money. We drove around and quickly found free parking and only a half block from a traxx station, Booyah!
We walked to the station and realized the tickets were still in the car so back to Lila the Lexus, we should have known then what was in store for us later on this evening. Foreshadowing I have to say, deep thoughts.

We waited at the traxx station listening and watching the characters that were with us. Wow, what a cultural experience this was, must bring children to see how some live.
After about 10 minutes of waiting the train pulled up and we got on. It was awesome being dropped up right in front of OFF Broadway Theatre, perfect planning Corbster.
The play was awesome. It was a spoof on Doctor Who. Neither Corby or I have seen Doctor Who but with the luxuries of internet readily available at your finger tips, we researched what we needed and quickly educated ourselves for the upcoming entertainment.
The play did not disappoint! It was hilarious. I love laughing so hard my cheeks ache. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. When the play was over, we crossed the street and patiently waited for the last train to come pick us up and take us back to that half block from our car destination. We waited. We waited. We read the schedule verifying that we had a train coming. Yes, yes last train of the evening coming 10:18. We had plenty of time until we realized it was a holiday which meant traxx were running on the Sunday schedule. Hurray for holidays, kind of, we were stranded there with no ride back.
Corby suggested he leave me and walk the 7 blocks back to our beloved Lila but I would have nothing to do with that so we began the trek. Pioneer children sang as they walked and walked and walked........
Now 7 blocks isn't the problem here, I love walking and exercising the problem was all the characters that were out at this time of night as well as the temperture. It was cold, thankfully I had my coat which I normally opt out and leave in the car. Blessing!
We saw homeless people settling in for the evening. We were approached for money and cigarettes. At one point, there were so many homeless people around us we were definitely out numbered. As we sped up our pace we caught up with one gentlemen that was screaming and all bent out of shape because of his crackers. I held my purse tight and prayed we would be alright. After what felt like forever, we finally made it to our vehicle, jumped in, turned on the heat and locked the doors. Whew, safety! So let this be a lesson, just pay the couple of dollars and park close to your destination especially on your anniversary celebration.

When we arrived home our garage door was locked, now that is odd. We gently knocked but no one came. Corby went around to the front and just then I hear Sierra unlock the door and run away. Weird! As we walked in we were greeted with this......


The girls had made us sugar cookies and cards. It was a great surprise. The little ones were tucked in bed and sleeping soundly, the house was tidy(just the way I like it before hitting the hay each night) and my girls were happily conversing. Perfection I tell you. The cards were thoughtful and keepers for sure. We said prayers, hugged and all retired.
19 years seems like forever and in reality is a pretty long time! We have had our ups and downs along this journey, but I'll take it. I love my family and with the good comes bad and that is OK because we have each other and that is all that counts.

1 comment:

  1. Cuteness, plus some scaryness! Holy moly. 7 blocks. good thing you guys are in shape!

    I remember when you guys got married, I knew in my ten year old heart you were the perfect match. Now 19 years later and look what you have to show for it. Still a perfect match plus 5 BEAUTIFUL thoughtful girls. Congrats on the anniversary you two!

    ReplyDelete