Welcome to our families thoughts, adventures, and craziness

Friday, October 19, 2012

5 ingredients not welcome!

Ratatouille
 ( I must throw in here everything but the eggplant came from our garden)
I have always been health conscience but I would say the last 5 years I have made a complete transition. I don't use labels like vegetarian or vegan. I just try to insure my family gets the recommended servings of fruits and vegetables; but in order to achieve this goal we don't eat as many meats and other processed foods.
The 5 ingredients that are no longer welcome in our home(to be completely honest some make it in for short stays because Corby is not completely convinced that my new found knowledge fits his motto which is:
I agreed to die before I came to earth so I am going to enjoy myself while here.)
Sesame Ginger  Noodles with Asparagus
 
  • Enriched products in any form
  • Hydrogenated oils/ trans fats
  • High Fructose Syrup
  • MSG
  • GMO (genetically modified foods)

I carefully examine the labels of the foods we eat and if any of these nasty items are found in any of the multiple creative disguised names we don't purchase it. I have been lucky enough to have multiple mentors, Robyn Openshaw (Green Smoothie Girl), Debra Walton (Health Seekers Kitchen), and James & Colleen Simmons (Original Fast Food). These individuals have given me links, recipes, informational literature, taught classes and many more tidbits of info to help me make this transition. I am eternally grateful for them willingly sharing all their hard work gathering information and at no cost I might add.
 During this journey, I have found recipes where I can make my own Worcestershire sauce, without the nasty ingredients found in the store bought version. It is a lot of work to eat and cook this way but I feel like now I know how terrible these ingredients are, I can't put them into my families bodies.
There are a few key kitchen appliances you must have in order to cook this way and my most favorite is my..............

Vita-mix



I use it daily, sometimes multiple times a day. 

Basically in a nutshell how we eat is 10% or less a day of any animal product. We try to get 9 servings each of fruits and vegetables. We try to drink water and only eat foods that spoil. We don't eat processed foods or anything that doesn't spoil in a few days. If it has a shelf life it  isn't living and our bodies are living so feed the living living. Follow the thought.We also eat a lot of raw food, that doesn't necessarily mean it isn't cooked it just means cooked at a lower temperature.  I love listening to Michael Pollen. He has a small book titled 64 rules of food. It is simple, easy to read and  just overall makes perfect sense. He says no food is off limits but you make the food yourself. So have french fries but cut and cook them yourself. You won't eat them everyday if you have to do all the work. He also says, eat foods that come from a plant not from a plant. Meaning don't eat things that are manufactured in a plant eat living growing foods from the vine(plant) I love this way of thinking. He says don't eat anything your grandma wouldn't recognize as food. And when you aren't denying yourself things you crave them less, right? Simple enough, yay? So jump on my boat and I will hand hold you all the way until you know this process like the back of your hand.
I hope my family lives to be over 100 and we can live happy, healthy, fulfilling lives by following the word of wisdom and this process is following the word of wisdom dear friends.
On to healthy green smoothies! 


Tortellini with spinach, asparagus, tomatoes and Parmesan cheese

Making a momma proud a salad for lunch. Yes, they are in their pj's but hey that is not what we are focusing on.  When they asked for salad it was like heavenly angels broke out in chorus. Way too make good choice little darlings.

No comments:

Post a Comment