Welcome to our families thoughts, adventures, and craziness

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Parenting Love and Logic Style

My friend became a certified love and logic instructor and asked if I would like to take a course. I hesitated because I have taken this course when Teesh was in Kindergarten. I think the practices are great. I love the natural consequences idea. I figured I should support her and I could use a refresher course. 

Boy, have I ever been grateful for the things my mind has been reminded of. Wowsie, I have forgotten a lot. It is a 6 week course and it is held on Friday evening. Date night, right? Nope, too expensive for us both to take so I am soloing it.

Each week we have a different topic:

Week 1:  Putting an end to Arguing, Back Talk, and Begging

Week 2:  Teaching Responsibility without Losing their Love

Week 3:  Setting Limits without Waging War

Week 4:  Avoiding Power-Struggles

Week 5:  Guiding Kids to Own and Solve their Problems

Week 6:  Teaching Kids to Complete Chores...Without Reminders and Pay

Don't those sound like amazing thoughts. I love this process. Basically you show empathy for your child, spouse, co-worker, (really it works on anyone), and get them to solve their own issues. You offer suggestions with their permission and encourage them that you know they are smart enough to do hard things.  You are a consultant with them. Your children bounce ideas off you and you allow them to make their own choices and learn from consequences. You are always there for life threatening decisions but for the most part you don't step in when you know things won't be so pretty in the end. Easy to say so so hard to do.

I learned tonight that:

*People skills are more important for success as an adult than academics.*

This really made me think about the opportunities I am providing for my daughters. Have I made the right choice to put them in charter schools and IB Programs that challenge them and require so much time. Oh, the pressure to always make the right choices as a mom. I am doing the best I know how and I guess everything will work out in the end, right?

Anyway, I am so excited to implement all my "refound" knowledge and give this parenting try my best effort. Girls just remember you didn't come with a manual and I will make mistakes but hopefully as I try to improve and you can forgive we just might make this family thing not too bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment