Welcome to our families thoughts, adventures, and craziness

Friday, October 12, 2012

Abundance

We have been blessed with such a great crop of peaches from our tree as well as tomatoes from our garden and our kind neighbor's garden. I have canned 30 quarts of peaches and froze just about that many.

 
                             I canned 36 quarts of super yummy spaghetti sauce and 8 quarts of pears



 Today, I did salsa for the first time ever. I have to say I am nervous because I put jalapeno peppers in it and might have got carried away because the juice touched my hand and it burned for hours. Hope you like your salsa hot family!
I love canning. It  holds such a sense of accomplishment for me. Seeing all that food on my food storage shelves makes me feel like I am doing my part in being self-reliant. I love being able to make meals without thinking ahead and not needing to run to the grocery store for weeks. Bring on the natural disasters, we will be prepared! (just kidding)


I must brag for a minute, but doesn't that look gourmet! Hours of chopping.

All that work and this is the end result.


I also canned 10 jelly size jars of jalapeno jelly. Yummy, get a Ritz cracker, smear cream cheese on top then a dab of jalapeno jelly. No need to take bites, this is a pop it in your mouth in one chomp. For some reason my jalapenos aren't all that spicy so this jelly is mostly sweet but after eating a few you soon feel a kick.
I thought the canning season was over but alas my parents stopped in and provided me three boxes of apples. I decided to turn them into applesauce. I use applesauce in my recipes in place of oil. When I make applesauce I don't add sugar only apple juice concentrate and puree it in my blender. No one wants a chunk of apple in their pancake right?

Step 1

Step 2
Step 3

Step 4

Step 5






I choose to freeze my applesauce rather than can, it tastes better in my opinion. Thanks mom and dad for thinking of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment