Welcome to our families thoughts, adventures, and craziness

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Night of Excellence

When my girls turn 12, they enter into a program called Young Women's. Original name, eh? Anyway, there is a program called personal progress within the Young Women's program. In this program, there are 8 values and each value has 6 small goals and 1 10 hour project attached. As you complete the values you get a colored ribbon that is the color for that value. For example, virtue is the color gold. So after you do 6 small goals and one 10 hour project you discuss what you learned with your parents or leaders and you get a ribbon with coordinating color and mark that goal off as completed. All the ribbons form a bookmark when completed. 
The girls begin working on this process when they turn 12 and have until their 18th birthday to complete it. Leticia completed her personal progress and tonight at Night of Excellence will receive her Young Women's Recognition Medallion. It represents a lot of hard work and endurance. Sierra is almost half way there and Malia being only 12, has a few goals begun. 
The Leaders went above and beyond tonight to make this extra special. Everything was color coordinated and was just beautiful.Leticia is the Laurel president, so she was asked to conduct this evening's program. She carried herself very well and did a great job conducting.
The girls were each asked to perform a special musical number. Sierra played the guitar and Malia and Sierra sang "Let it Be" by the Beatles.
Teesh and Malia played a duet on the piano "Onward Christian Soldiers". 
Each of the girls were asked to share a personal experience of how they followed the theme for the year and "Arise and Shine Forth". Leticia shared how she was brave to ask questions in class that she knew others had but were too shy to ask for themselves. Sierra shared how she was there for a non-member friend who was struggling and how she felt prompted to invite him to church. Malia shared how when she turned 12(literally even the very day she turned 12) she made it a goal to attend the temple and do baptisms for the dead weekly. She even invited friends who have never been. I was so proud of my girls in how they carried themselves. Some girls read their thoughts from a piece of paper but my girls each spoke from their hearts. I loved seeing how each of them had the confidence to stand and speak.
Tami Simons, our Young Women's President, is presenting Teesh with her amazing award. The leaders right now are all 2nd milers. They each go above and beyond what they have to. I appreciate their efforts so much. Tami Simons speaks from the spirit, she gave an amazing talk tonight and I felt the spirit stronger than I have felt in months. It was so uplifting. Her words were be obedient, exactly obedient to all the things the Lord asks and you will be blessed and have the comfort you deserve. That is so true! The spirit bore a strong witness that obedience does provide peace and pure joy.
Grandma Hansen came down to share in this special night and I am trying to get the medallion on, apparently it is hard because I kept putting it on upside down.


All three displaying their awards they received tonight. Look at the decor, see what I mean over the top. It was great. The curtains were hung on a rod with a chandelier. Who has that much creativity, not me but I am glad someone does.
Our family on this great evening!
On this table are some of the goals the young women have accomplished throughout this past year.
Teesh made the purple dress, table runner and helped with the recipe box. Sierra sang in general conference.
Malia displayed her Pointe shoes and how she accomplished her hunters safety which both items were no small task. Each took way more than 10 hours to achieve. I am so proud of my girls and their stick-to-it-attitudes.
Yet again, the leaders above and beyond, the refreshments were amazing. So much time put into making this evening fantastic.
I will title this evil eye Sierra, this look is saying, "Seriously, Dad how many photo will you take tonight?"
After the program, we went home to have another simple way more simple celebration(my style), nothing fancy just the basics, my poor neglected family.  Teesh opening a gift from Grandma Hansen.
And the gift is...........driving gloves that you can text with. Grandma showing the texture that makes this all possible
 
 A gift every dad wants to see for sure. I am just kidding, Teesh knows that we don't text and drive even if our gloves make it possible.
Grandma also gave Teesh a sewing kit! Teesh and Grandma have always had a special bond and I love that. I never really knew my grandparents and I feel I missed out. Thanks Grandma for coming to support Leticia.
Our family presented Leticia with a framed picture of the Savior wiping a young woman's tears. One of Simon Dewey's masterpieces. We also gave her a framed stitched saying, "Pay attention to the small things in life because soon you will see they were the big things". I loved this saying because it fits Teesh perfectly. She pays close attention to the small things. She is just such a great example to me.
My good friend, Kelly, watched the little ones for me tonight so I could enjoy the evening without distractions. I appreciate her always helping me out. Times likes these are the hardest with the huge gap we have in our family dynamics. I appreciate Kelly for always being willing. 
The evening was just wonderful and I can't wait to do it all over again four more times. Love you daughters, your parents are so proud of the individuals you are and the great choices you make.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment