Welcome to our families thoughts, adventures, and craziness

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Trichotillomania

Are you scratching your head and saying uuuuuuh! That big long word means pulling your hair out.
I have debated with this post but feel it is something I want in our family records.  My sweet little Malia Ruth has overcame such a hard situation so I would like to share it.

Two years ago this December, I noticed Malia had some thinning spots on the top of her head. I noticed it, but didn't give it much thought. By February it was a big concern. Corby and I were going on a cruise with my side of the family to celebrate my parent's 50th wedding anniversary in March. I called LDS Family Services to schedule an appointment but with Corby and I leaving they wouldn't even put her on the waiting list. It was frustrating and I didn't understand their reasoning's but needless to say, I was able to finally get Malia into see the therapist in April. UGH!~
Her therapist name was Becki Hennessey. Malia had a real connection with Becki from the very start. Becki taught Malia a lot and I could see progress but in the end Malia still struggled with the issue. After almost a year of counseling, with no real success, Becki encouraged me to find a different therapist for Malia. Apparently LDS Family Services doesn't use the latest discoveries so we were trying to help Malia by not using the appropriate techniques. I was super frustrated to have spent all that money and time for nothing. I felt like the therapist should have told me that cognitive therapy isn't the best method for this condition. So I did my own research and  I made over 50 different phone calls and interviewed several therapists until  I  found one that I felt would help Malia the most. We made an appointment at the Trauma Awareness Center to see Michelle.
Malia was a bit nervous because Michelle had tattoos. I asked Malia why she was nervous, she honestly responded, "Mom, I am going into Young Women's and if I need to talk about it will she understand?" I reassured her Michelle would and if she had questions Malia could answer them and teach her about the Young Women's program. Such a sweet little spirit my Malia is.
Michelle helped Malia to be able to relax and she taught her about Rapid Eye Movement and Thought Field Therapy. I know this sounds hokey but it worked. Malia met with Michelle about 8 or 9 times, so a little over two months, and Malia hasn't pulled her hair since.
When I was first learning about this condition I assumed it was a direct result of a traumatic situation and it was Malia's coping strategy but in the end it came down to Malia needing to learn how to relax and process things differently. Malia is an overachiever. She is absolutely one of the hardest workers I know. She gives everything she does 100% . I am so thankful for Michelle and her process to give Malia the relaxation tools she deserves to enjoy life. It has almost been a year and she has not had one relapse. Which by the way is huge! Most who suffer from this condition only have a 50% recovery rate and at that most never fully conquer it.
I did not take pictures of Malia when her hair was the thinnest but we did eventually have to cut Malia's hair to allow it to grow back. Malia was reluctant at first to get her hair cut but after she thought about it she agreed and then after it was cut she said she loved that she didn't have to wear a ponytail and slick it down with hairspray.
I am so proud of you Malia for being strong and conquering hard things. You are simply amazing little one!


 Here is Malia sporting her new do
Love it Malia, I secretly hope you keep your hair short!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh Malia I loooooooove your haircut! Though, I like it better long...
    :)
    -Nichole

    ReplyDelete