Welcome to our families thoughts, adventures, and craziness

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Recipe Exchange Group

In my free time I have brain stormed up a fun get together idea and decided to see if it would take off. In Lou of my recipe project that I worked on for over a year, I thought about acquiring different new recipes for different seasons, for example, in the summer when you have an abundance of zucchini, wouldn't it be great to have several tried and tested recipes to help you use up your abundance or don't you just crave soup on a blistery winter day what no better way than to have new tasty soups at your fingers tips. These ideas are how my recipe exchange idea was born. I decided on who would be a great asset to the group and who would just enjoy the company so I carefully selected ladies from all sections of my social networks, extended the invite, and 13 ladies took the bait!
The way it is set up is this, we will meet once a month, most likely the second Thursday of each month and a different lady will host for the evening. When you are the host you are in charge, you decide the theme and the atmosphere for the evening. 
Since this was my idea I volunteered for November and our theme was "Holiday Traditions". I was going to do cheese fondue since that is our family tradition for Christmas Eve but eventually for time sakes and because of the ingredients for the cheese fondue I choose our Christmas morning Quiche.
10 of the 13 were able to attend this first gathering. It was great. We introduced ourselves and told something random about our lives. I think, even though most don't know everyone, in time, this group could result in some friendships I am so desperately seeking right now. After a brief introduction, I wanted people to tell about their dish they brought. I wanted to hear how it is a tradition in the home and fun facts like that. It didn't exactly go as planned, but it all worked out. We had a "Frosty Cheese Ball", quiche, cranberry sauce, raspberry bread, green bean casserole, Chex mix, m&m's (my favorite of the evening), Ooey gooey brownies, a lady who wasn't able to join us gave us the recipe for Polar Express Cocoa.

We sat around and taste tested the food and chit chatted. We discussed when would be a good time and what kinds of themes we would enjoy. It started at 7 and most everyone was gone by 9. I have to say I was overall pleased. Like I stated earlier, it will become more comfortable as people get to know each other. 
As far as the recipes go, we will email them to the host for the evening and she will compile them and forward them on to us, so no silly papers lying around. Just print and use in your already awesome recipe system.

I did not take pictures but will eventually. I hope that as others hear about this group they will want to join and will find a place to feel included.
Maybe if I am really ambitious(and figure out how to do it) I will link the recipes to this page so as you read you can have access to them if your heart desires them.

No comments:

Post a Comment