Welcome to our families thoughts, adventures, and craziness

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Proposal

I know this was almost 20 years ago but I am new to blogging and have lots to catch up on. I am doing this blog as a journal for our family and when I am old and my memory is gone, I want my children to have a record of our life. So I want to share how Corby asked me to marry him! Just a little glimpse what life is like with Corby Earnest Hansen, character!

As I stated earlier, We met while both serving in Southern California on missions for the Church. Corby came home in April and began writing me when it became legal to contact one another. I had till August and by the time August rolled around I knew enough about Corby through our weekly letters that he was definitely a keeper. I didn't want to completely commit since I wanted to see him and myself interact in "real" life not as missionaries.
Corby and his brother DeLayne traveled up to my mission report in Idaho Falls  from West Point, UT and we were able to go on our first official date. We went to Scotty's drive in and a dance on Ricks College Campus. It was a great night.
So this was in August like I said, and come October I knew I was to marry Corby, but he wasn't progressing things. So I took matters into my own hands and asked him if he would ever ask to marry me. He said he was 90% sure I was the right one but he needed to love me as much as he loved his siblings and parents. I must admit it stung a bit, but I didn't want to marry someone who wasn't 100% positive he wanted to marry me so I waited. I also just in passing mentioned he could not surprise me as I knew him so well I would figure it out.
 Well, apparently that was the challenge he took upon himself and I must say I wish I never said those words. It took a girl engaged to be married in a few weeks dying in an automobile accident to show Corby he did love me the way he needed. Corby just read about this story in the paper didn't know them but felt so sad for the loss and knew he would feel the same if it were me in the accident so the wheels started cranking and a plan was developed without any knowledge on my part.
Our dating was a long distance situation. He lived with his parents and attended Weber State and I was down at BYU(Corby calls it the "Lord's" University) in Provo. I would travel up to see him on weekends and stay with his family. It was a great setup. Corby would come down every once in awhile if there was something specific to do in Provo but that meant long late night drives home so it was rare he came down.
Anyway, one Friday Corby had told me he had a great weekend planned and to be to his home at 3:30. I knew this would be tight with my last class getting out 1:30 but when there is a will there is a way and I figured I could make it happen. Well, that particular day class went long and one of my friends in the class asked if she could speak to me. I thought it would only be a minute and it ended up being close to an hour. She had had a fight with her husband and wanted a listening ear. (Ironic I would soon learn) I was stressing out but hurried as quick as possible and got on the road ASAP.
I was making great timing and kept noticing quite a few cops on my path. I would slow down and when the coast was clear I would speed up to make up for lost time.
I would weave in and out of traffic and pushed the speed limit to the limit. Finally, I arrived at Corby's parents home and I must note not that late either, whew. I noticed Corby's car was not there. I could hear the vacuum on and knocked hard to let them know I was there. Kathleen opened the door and acted so nervous but I did not think much about it. She asked me to stay on the porch and she would be right out. Once again odd, but OK. Then she brings the phone to me and Corby is on the other end. He tells me he needs some gas and told me the road where his car was. I thought, "wow, Corby isn't that irresponsible and why is everyone acting so different". I chalked it up to the "plans" Corby had made.  I took a gas can and headed out to unfamiliar territory. I remember as I turned on a particular road Corby's voice said this is the only road I have ever received a speeding ticket on so be careful. I looked at the speedometer and made sure I was not speeding. I kept looking for Corby's car but could not see it. Then all of the sudden a cop with his lights on is behind me. I quickly pull over thinking, I have been speeding all day but not now why would I be pulled over now. 

I pulled over and a highway patrolman got out and came to my window. He asked me for my registration and driver license. I gave it to him. He went back to his car and then came back to my window. He asked why I was driving an out of state licensed vehicle when I lived in Utah. I told him I was a student and didn't know I couldn't. He told me that the law had changed and it was illegal for me to drive a vehicle not properly registered. I apologized and told him I had been in California for the last 18 months and was unaware of that new law. He told me he was going to have to impound my car and that I needed to get out of it. I thought he was out of his mind but I was so convinced I was going to jail I quickly got out. He told me he wasn't comfortable working on these skinny side roads and needed me to come to his car. I was really getting nervous but I followed him to his car. He pointed to the trunk and I was really confused but I walked back there to find Corby on one knee. When I saw Corby I was seriously so confused. He asked me to follow the prophet and to marry him in the house of the Lord, I didn't even answer Corby the first words out of my mouth were, Corby, my car is about to be impounded. He smiled and said, "got ya". It took me a few more minutes before I realized he just asked me to marry him. I told him yes but wanted to beat him up. Are you kidding me, you didn't need to go to this extreme to make me eat my words. Anyway, funny story remember how I kept seeing cops on the freeway? Well, that would be Corby and his buddy, Paul, the highway patrolman. Apparently, all the weaving and speeding I was doing made it so they were unable to catch me and I got to Corby's parent's first. The highway patrol car was a mustang and I was in a Dodge Aries named Daisy. Good Daisy, way to out run the nasty cops trying to catch you.
We all had a good laugh at the end but I kept having to remind myself I wasn't in trouble and I wasn't going to lose my car.
That all happened in October 1993 and we were married the 18th of February 1994
Corby is lucky I still said yes after that stunt he pulled. Love you forever Corby Earnest Hansen.

1 comment: